Are you tired of jumping from article to article to figure out how to live a healthier life? I feel you. I’ve
wasted spent many hours on the internet over the years to figure out exactly what “living healthier” means. I’ve watched countless motivational videos on YouTube from ‘fitness gurus’ that have tried to sell me something approximately 3 minutes into their video. I’ve signed up for many fitness magazine subscriptions that are 80% advertisements, 10% motivation and 10% useable/actionable content. I’ve wasted a lot of money (thousands) trying different gyms and working with different coaches to figure out ‘how’ to be more healthy.
The one thing I’ve realized in the last 5 years is that the fitness industry is built on failures.
The health and fitness club industry alone generates over $3 billion every year. Did you ever stop and wonder how this industry makes so much money? It’s because people fail over and over again, and they continue to spend money on products and services that are not sustainable. It’s as simple that.
The Fit Opportunity mantra has always been “fitness made simple”. Why do I want to make fitness simple? It’s because the traditional health & fitness industry has become so complex that people are setting themselves up for failure before they even begin. Unrealistic exercise regimens paired with unbearable nutritional restrictions. Doesn’t sound like a formula for success, does it?
Let’s break it down.
Let’s make fitness simple for you so that it’s sustainable for life!
This article is broken down into two segments: exercise and nutrition.
What’s the best type of exercise for you? There is only one person in the world that can answer that – you!
Crossfit, body-weight training, bodybuilding, hiking, yoga, swimming, walking, high-intensity interval training, low-intensity training, running, speedwalking, zumba, dance; this list can go on forever.
The best type of exercise is the one you enjoy the most! It’s the one you look forward to doing every (or every other) day. Do you love to swim? Perfect – keep swimming! Do you enjoy hiking? Awesome – hike more! Do you love doing bodyweight squats in your bedroom? Kudos – keep up the great work!
If you force yourself to sign up for an exercise program that you genuinely don’t enjoy, the likelihood of you sticking to that program is very low. If you hate going to the gym but downloaded the latest bodybuilding program, the chances of you sticking with it are slim. For example, here is an 8-minute workout you can do right now at home, without any equipment. If you enjoy it, great. If you hate it, that’s fine too – find something else you love.
Do you see what I’m getting at here?
Exercise the way you want. Go play with your kids. Head to the pool for a swim. Grab your friend and go on a hike. Do the things you love so that you look forward to each and every session. Whatever you do, keep your body moving.
Check out some of these mind-blowing stats from the from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:
- More than one-third (36.5%) of U.S. adults are obese
- Obesity-related conditions include heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes and certain types of cancer, some of the leading causes of preventable death
- The estimated annual medical cost of obesity in the U.S. was $147 billion in 2008 U.S. dollars; the medical costs for people who have obesity were $1,429 higher than those of normal weight.
What the heck are you supposed to eat? And what about dieting?
Atkins, low-carb, low-fat, low-protein, paleo, caveman, gluten-free, whole30, zone diet, juice fasting, cleanse, detox, vegan, rice diet; again, this list can go on forever.
The best ‘diet’ or meal plan is the one you enjoy and can stick to forever. The term ‘diet’ implies that eventually, it is something that you will come off of. A nutritional approach centered around lean protein sources, nuts/seeds, fruits & vegetables, and some processed foods is not only optimal, but it’s realistic.
Try to have the most colorful plate possible. Sure – eat your nachos, wings, cookies, and cakes. But, 80% of the time you should focus on healthier options, such as the nutritious foods you already know. The other 20%, feel free to indulge!
Stop jumping from diet to diet, and focus on a sustainable meal plan that keeps you sane.
At the end of the day, it’s important that you have some fun.
Exercise and nutrition both play a vital role in your well-being. If you focus on improving these aspects of your life, I promise that you will start to look and feel healthier.
P.S. Did you know that if you share this post, the chances of someone you know living a healthier lifestyle increases by 1 million % 🙂
Interested in watching a 28-minute chat about health, fitness and nutrition?.